Monday, March 16, 2015

Autism; explanations are a beautiful thing


This month marks the one year anniversary of getting the autism diagnosis
for our Beans (9yrs old), June marks it for Princess Sparkles (12yrs old).

Having had a year to digest exactly what it means to now have a label
and how it effects our every day life
I thought I'd share a few of the things I've learned.

Something that I've come to realize is that while they won't lead "typical" lives
it doesn't mean that they lead "disabled" lives.

They aren't their label, they aren't their diagnosis
and I refuse to allow a diagnosis to define who they are.
Hence the title of my new writing home.

Having a diagnosis is a blessing, a HUGE blessing
although it brought with it such resounding grief when it was given
now a year later I see it more as an explanation
and a purpose.

We have an explanation now so we can help our kids conquer even more 
effectively than ever! 

As I tell them both OFTEN

"Your autism is not an excuse, it's a reason. 
Your autism doesn't hold you back, 
it's the fire you need to move forward; fighting twice as hard."

Meltdowns happen
systems get overstimulated
learning certain things comes harder
understanding social cues feels impossible

But I KNOW they can do it
Not because of my sheer will but because my autistic children are
BRILLIANT
in their own amazing ways

We navigate the meltdowns,
we give input to the senses or shield input as needed
we fight twice as hard to learn in creative ways
we watch and practice and talk it through

Because they CAN if we enable them.


It is such a beautiful thing to think that once you have the diagnosis you
can leave that "winter" behind.
the time of not knowing, second guessing and frustration
and suddenly a whole world opens up to you
your child is explained

and it's like spring is about to come anew!

To all the parents out there struggling, 
those with newly diagnosed children
educate yourselves, fight for your child and never ever
hold them back because of a label

Propel them forward in confidence because 
now you have a child who is 

Explained but not Defined!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment